Friday, February 4, 2011

I'm ok, it's just an article


I was reading an article on how smoking might be a suicide attempt indicator, and feeling that their study seems like b.s., and came across this quote from Paula Clayton, M.D., medical director of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention in New York City: “Suicide attempts are not a strong risk factor for eventual suicide. In fact, the majority of people who make suicide attempts do not go on to kill themselves.”

I've heard this before, but never really thought too much about it. It's interesting, because I know a lot of people who have attempted suicide (is that weird?) and no one who has actually succeeded. I only know one person who tried it more than once (mom). I think she does it like I did it: self harm gone a little too far. If only she had discovered tattooing. It's great! You can't cut too deep, and you get something pretty out of it instead of an angry red scar.

Anyway, here are some more fascinating statistics on suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment