Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Read me


Book review in the New York Times today for a new memoir called "Henry's Demons." It follows a family through their sons' diagnosis with schizophrenia. In the review, they quote one part of the book as saying, “Jan and I were upset, but we both thought cannabis was fairly harmless. It wasn’t until Henry was in the hospital that we learned of its possible devastating impact on somebody genetically predisposed to schizophrenia.”

Wait a minute. Are they saying they think smoking pot can bring on schizophrenia? I'm sure it doesn't do anything good for a developing brain, especially one prone to mental illness. There is some research out there on pot and schizophrenia. So I guess it is a statement that has truth behind it. I always wondered what all those drugs did to my bipolar....
"
Another interesting thing in the review, the author is quoted as saying, “We, as a family, will always have to cope with the consequences of his schizophrenia. But that, after all, is what families are for.”

Ponder that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment