Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I'm a bad Catholic


I forgot to go to church today to get my ashes. It's ash Wednesday. I observed shrove Tuesday by having the traditional pancake dinner, but I forgot my ashes. For those of you who aren't catholic:

"The ashes used in churches on this day are made from the burned palm leaves from the previous Palm Sunday. When the priest marks our foreheads with the ashes, he says, 'Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return' (Genesis 3:19) or 'Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel' (Mark 1:15)."

Lent is known as a time of giving up stuff, but it's not all about cutting out the chocolate. Lent is a time for reflection and re-dedication to your spiritual life. Of looking inward. What a great time to go through the 12 steps! It's like doing a fourth step!

Anyway, you are supposed to give up an indulgence, or take on a practice. So you can affirm to go to church for 40 days or give up diet Coke. I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do. I mean, I already gave up everything I'm willing to give up (caffeine is out of the picture), and .... wait. Maybe I can give up shopping. Maybe I'll promise not to online shop till Easter. Boy, that would be hard.

But taking on something spiritual. Maybe I'll promise to go to church this Lent, on Sundays. That's only 5 times or something. That's totally doable. Will I do it? Stay tuned. I'm guessing no. I'm a horrible catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment