Monday, March 7, 2011

We're all crazy here


"The U.S. attracts people who believe they can achieve a better life," Schlager says. "They come to believe they can pick up and start again. It's a self-selected sample of people who are grandiose and impulsive. It takes a certain suspension of belief to actually believe you can come here and make it happen. Those are a significant percentage of people on the bipolar spectrum."

The U.S. has the highest bipolar rate out of 11 countries studied. Of course, countries with more stigma had lower rates, probably because of a reluctance to talk about it, but the researchers used the same criteria all across the board in one-on-one discussions with people.

So why is the U.S. so crazy? I like the theory above. The theory that it takes someone a little hypomanic to think they're going to succeed halfway across the world with no money and not knowing the language. Hell, I think I can make it in Austria all the time. Luckily, I won't move without a job. Homeless I will not be, no thanks. My mom does it sometimes, and I'm not interested.

Anyway, it's pretty neat to think of a country of individuals and adventurers as a bunch of bipolars, too. Apparently, we're all crazy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment