Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's my birthday!


I'm officially in my thirties. Hooray. Actually, I don't care. It's not that big a deal. But I do love birthdays! I'm treating myself to the spa this year, but this time last year I was arriving in Paris for my two-week vacation in Europe. I was swinging my backpack back on and looking for the hotel I had booked near Gare d'Est. I wandered through the gare and found a little take out sushi place. I grabbed the closest meal of maki and sashimi and headed outside. I knew the street number was on the next block, but the next block split into three lanes at the end. Which one was mine? I took a guess, asked for directions, and finally found it. But before going in, I went to the grocery store across the street and bought a bottle of red wine. That was my first dinner in Paris - red wine and take out sushi.

The next morning, the morning of my birthday, I walked to the station again and boarded a train for Basil, Switzerland. It was early, early and I don't remember if I had time to grab food on the train or if I ate a granola bar.

Man I love traveling. I wish I were in Europe right now. Instead, I'm here. In my childhood bed. In my dad's apartment. Homeless. Jobless. What an amazing turn-around from last year when I had a surplus! I was rich enough to go to Europe for 2 weeks and still keep a job! I had everything and didn't know that my world was going to fall apart 6 months later. Holy shit, it's been a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment