Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All meds are good meds


"For bipolar disorder, we have no evidence that the atypical antipsychotics are safer or more effective than alternative treatments. They are certainly much more expensive. But use of the atypical antipsychotics has grown rapidly, displacing treatments that are less expensive and more well-established," Simon said in an e-mail.

This from an article on the over prescription of anti-psychotics. With all the ads on tv about meds like Abilify and Seroquel, people seem to be requesting these things, and doctors appear to be prescribing them more. Why? Do they work better? There's no evidence they do. Americans are weird. We always want the newest, latest gadget or toy, and I suppose that same line of thinking comes to our health care. Is it new? It must be improved! Some of the old ones are just as good.

I'm hoping to go on something old school and inexpensive. It doesn't mean it's not going to work just because it was developed 5 or 10 years ago. Right now, I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck. I guess these will be my choices. Not that I get a choice in the matter. I just don't want something that's going to make me fat. Why? Cause I'm vain and lazy, and my pants already don't fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment