Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mental health parody


Dear Congress,

Ok, first, thank you for voting in the mental health parity laws. I'm very happy that insurers have to provide coverage equal to physical coverage, and at the same rate. But there are some things you missed.

No one HAS TO offer mental health coverage. They can just avoid it right there. Sure, maybe in 2014 something will happen, but that's really not helpful. It doesn't cover individual policies or small businesses. I understand that for small businesses it would mean no one gets health insurance, so good compromise, there. But for all of us who don't get coverage through our employer, or qualify (yet) for high-risk pools, or better yet, WANT to be taking out meds instead of using up emergency beds, what do we do? How do we get coverage?

Do you know how much meds cost on their own? Thousands of dollars. I'm not exaggerating. One month of one of my meds cost me $1,000. Or would cost me, if I had that kind of money to throw around. And I'm on three meds. Which, with the current state of the economy and my current unemployment means I'm off meds for the first time in 6 years. And I don't WANT to be non-compliant. I want to be a productive member of society. Instead, because no health insurance company will cover me, I have to pay out of pocket for medication, and I can't.

Thanks for making health care for all.

"Q: Since the law does not apply to individual policies, what advice do you offer those patients and families seeking care right now?

A: It's not so bright for the next four years. Everyone I've gotten calls from in the individual market who wants to go to a high-risk pool … well, you have to be uninsured for six months [to qualify]. In all fairness, I think the pools great and they have enormous potential. There's a reason for [the waiting period]. … And the high risk pool requirements won't change between now and 2014. For a lot of people, they will have to wait."

No comments:

Post a Comment