Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Can you see it?


We've already established that I love trivia, and so you can imagine how excited I was to find a study on mental health. OK, so it's all about 2009, but studies are always a year behind. It claims 1 in 5 Americans had a mental illness in 2009. That's a lot of your fiends and neighbors. I wonder if it's self-reported or doctor/heathcare reported.

One thing I thought was really interesting was: "Adults who were unemployed last year were twice as likely to have serious thoughts of suicide as people who were fully employed, with 6.6 percent of the unemployed considering suicide, compared with 3.1 percent of those who were working." Imagine, it's still 3% of working people. Look at that guy in the cubicle across from you. Do you think he ever thinks of killing himself? Or your boss. She's human. Maybe she's hiding a serious depression, or even schizophrenia.

I wonder sometimes if people ever think about that. I'm just a little store clerk, but here I am thinking about offing myself. Do any of the people who come in see it? I doubt it. My own dad can't tell. It's amazing what we hide from others. We're all so disconnected.

No comments:

Post a Comment