Friday, January 28, 2011

High functioning bipolar


I'm not feeling very articulate today, so don't mind my rambling. I was reading a great blog this morning and came across a post she did on being a high functioning bipolar person. She talks about just how much mental energy it takes to be "normal." To show up for work, pay your bills, walk the dog. It sucks the life out of you.

"So all the appearance of my functioning is paid for by utter decimation and exhaustion the rest of the time. I don’t have energy or brain space left to read, see friends, date or do pretty much anything else. The last thing I want to do is leave the house. I want to sleep. Forever. And ever."

It really takes a lot of mental energy just to act normal. I suppose that's why I sleep a lot: I use up everything I have just trying to be perky and appear sane. In my head, it's all swirling around. Sometimes my inner voice is screaming things at me, but I look perfectly normal on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment