Monday, January 24, 2011

Is it depression?


According to the National Institute of Mental Health, symptoms of depression may include the following:

difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
fatigue and decreased energy
feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
irritability, restlessness
loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
overeating or appetite loss
persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts


Let's see. On the regular list, I've got insomnia (sometimes), irratability (most likely caffeine induced), overeating (most likely boredom induced), and the occasional thought of suicide. From what I know of depression, I'm also weepy, paranoid, and don't enjoy things. I'm also still getting up for work every day, showing up to meetings, calling people, and going out with new people. I have a sex drive, and I'm able to shower and eat. I'm going with "not depression."

No comments:

Post a Comment