Friday, July 16, 2010

God smiles on fools and drunks



There's an old adage that God smiles on fools and drunks. God protects those who can't seem to protect themselves very well.

I have been really lucky in my life. I had a solid base until I was a tween. I had a loving family and a nice middle class existence. I had good schooling and opportunities galore. Despite my best attempts at complete oblivion and stupidity, I was never raped, beaten, in a car accident, killed anyone, injured anyone, or really done more than give myself some interesting scars and burns. I have the love of family and friends. I have someone for whom I am eternally grateful to have in my life. I have a job, and a roof over my head that I can afford to keep there. I've been very lucky.

We drunks and druggies seem to be able to slip through life unaltered until that big event where everything catches up to us. Sure, we all have those early moments that should have told us something was wrong (like my little overdose), but we never listened.

God smiled on us.

And then God laughed and put that one last obstacle in our path. Jail, loss of family, car accidents, or just a realization that enough is enough. And either we made a decision to stop the madness, or we sunk lower and lower, all the while with God watching to be there when we finally came to that decision.

Thank God I listened early. Thank God I will never have to feel the pain of jail or car accidents because I'm drunk or high. I won't have a coke induced heart attack (more on that later), I won't overdose in the yard ever again (unless it's my prescriptions), and I won't throw up in the bushes because I'm wasted (maybe one day if I'm ever pregnant I'll have that opportunity again).

I have been really lucky. God has smiled on me in my foolishness. Thanks big man.

No comments:

Post a Comment