Thursday, July 15, 2010

Harder than liquor



Last night I finished my pack of cigarettes and said, out loud, "Ok, that's it." I usually have an easy time just putting them down and walking away for a while. I've done it for up to a year before, and then I get stressed and come back.

Well, damn do I want a cigarette. I think it's just the habit of having one on the way to a meeting in the middle of the day and not actually craving the nicotine. I like the habit of doing something while you're walking, the suck and blow (ha), watching the smoke move in the wind. Smoking is a whole experience.

My sponsor said it took her 5 years to quit after she got sober. A lot of folks have told me not to quit yet, but I'm kind of sick of it. It's expensive ($6 a pack!), it makes me smell bad, and it wastes my time.

So let's see how long I make it. My uncle said quitting cigarettes is harder than quitting heroin, which I doubt, but it's definitely tough. Maybe even harder than putting down the booze.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment