Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sobriety calculator



Now I'm trolling the internet. Jesus, my life is boring. At least I have you people to complain to. Silent folks. I know you're there....

Check out this link: http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

It tells you how many days, hours, etc you've been sober, how many heartbeats you've had since then, and can tell you what day of the week you got sober. How cool!

I got sober on a Thursday, before Memorial Day weekend. I remember going to work that day, hungover, but feeling lighter than I had in years. I had made the decision to turn my life and will over to the care of Alcoholics Anonymous. I knew then that I was done getting wasted, blacking out, sleeping with random strangers, and waking up in places people shouldn't sleep. Sure, everyone has their fun drinking tales, and it sure seems like fun, but when you look back all you see is danger and stupidity. It's really not fun to black out. Honestly. You never know what you've done or said.

Thursday. I sat at work and looked up everything I could about AA. I found my local meeting group and noticed there was a noon meeting right around the corner from me. By this time it was one pm (I remember clearly) and so I promised myself I would go the next day. I sat at work reading all I could, and found the 12&12 and the Big Book online. I started with step one: I was powerless. I could no longer manage my own life. I needed help.

And now I have the fellowship of other drunks. People who know what I've been through, cause they've been there too. People who are struggling just as much as me, and using meetings and AA as their salvation. I need it now. I suppose addictive personalities need something to be addicted to. I'm glad it's sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment