Sunday, September 12, 2010

Don't run, walk


A friend of mine's last day at my Sunday meeting was today. She's moving to NYC to be closer to her support system. See, she's living in insanity. There's a lot of things in her life that are unbearable, and she needs the love and support that AA can't give her alone. She cried as she said goodbye, and thanked everyone for the love and support given her. She also admitted something: she's running away.

Am I trying to run away from here in order to go home? I know I'd like a fresh start, but I do like it here. I don't have any problems I'd be running from. I have great friends and an ok job. I have a place to live that I love (no matter how much anyone hates it), and my needs are met here.

So I would be running towards something. I would be running to the support of family, just like my friend, but it's been something I told myself I would do eventually, anyway. I gave myself 5 years here, and it will be 5 in January. So I've completed my mission: to grow, to give myself space from the insanity and learn how to thrive despite it. I ran away to come here, and now I'm going back to face my life and live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment