Saturday, September 18, 2010

Goodbye big city


I have a lot of stuff. Have you ever looked around your house and really thought about all the stuff you've accumulated over a lifetime?

When I moved here, I had a little four door car with some stuff in it. I had an oriental rug, some cast iron pans, three small boxes of books and clothes, a trunk, and some plants. Seriously. I left that morning, after saying a teary goodbye to Adam (and I swear I cried for two states), and set off into the sunset.

Now I'll be driving into the sun with a Penske full of stuff. I'm leaving with 39 boxes, a bed, a couch, a chair, some bookshelves, and more boxes of books. 7, to be exact. And a dog.

I've had a life, here. I had put down my roots and settled in for the time being. I knew one day I would move back, but who knew "one day" would come so soon?

I got my last look at the city skyline today. It really is beautiful. I always enjoy seeing it. And with the sun setting and the fog rolling in, it was even more beautiful. So goodbye, temporary home. It has been wonderful. I'll miss your people, your weather, your fascinating politics. But it's time to say goodbye. It's time to go home, for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment