Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bring the kitsch


Just an entertaining article:
16 Ways Depression Is Like a Pumpkin

The holiday season is coming, and most people hate this time of year because they get depressed with all the dark time and lack of sunlight. But I love it. You know I love kitsch, and tis the season! From pumpkins and costumes to santa and stockings, I love it all. I usually have a theme for Christmas where I give all my family something along the theme lines. I did Jesus last year, and gave my cousin Roger a thing that you press into bread and then toast the bread, and it displays the Virgin Mary. It was a big hit.

I don't have a theme this year, and I don't have the money to do gifts... maybe I'll have to get some clothespins and make reindeer. Yes! Reindeer gifts made from clothespins. It's perfect.

I can't have parties this year, unless I rent out the room downstairs in the building, but that's expensive. So I'll have to just decorate my dad's house with kitsch. I have to get my holiday box out of storage. I'm going to a Day of the Dead festival with some sober friends the day before Halloween. This is where my season starts. I always have a DoD party with all sorts of cool decorations, so now I'll get to see artwork by real Mexican artists.

I hope we go north this year for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I love the snow up there during the holidays. It really makes it feel like Christmas, and my aunt really goes crazy! She has 8 (?) siblings, and they all bring different things to her open house, and family comes and goes all day long. We all stay in their big farm house, where it's freezing and haunted, but perfect. I love being with my family. Like any family, they make me crazy, but I do love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment