Friday, October 15, 2010

Only alcoholics have drunk dreams


I've been having booze dreams lately. I've been asleep, and woken up in a panic thinking I actually did it. Sometimes I can taste the alcohol going down, or in my mouth. Sometimes I like it.

The other night I had a dream about being back at the wedding and asking for a mimosa. That's all I did: ask for it. And I woke up.

I've had dreams about champagne, beer, wine. I always think in the morning, "Thank God I didn't do that!" But sometimes I'm sad it wasn't real. It would be nice to be able to drink like everyone else, but I know that I can't. I know that once I start, that thirst takes over and I just can't stop.

But apparently this is totally normal. Many people, even after years of sobriety, have these dreams. "He referred to this necessary part of recovery as a 'flushing of the psychic toilet.'" I like that. Flushing the psychic toilet. Getting rid of those thoughts and letting them get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment