Monday, October 11, 2010

I am powerless


"Fighting an addiction pits your will to resist a craving against your will to succumb to it. You are the addiction, and fighting the addiction is fighting yourself, and fighting yourself gets you nowhere." Rami Shapiro, Recovery

Powerlessness. You can't fight yourself. You can't fight against what's inside you. Instead, you need to accept powerlessness. "All we can do is work with what happens moment to moment." I have to stop fighting myself, and instead succumb to the fact that I am an addict. I am addicted to alcohol, cigarettes, food. I am addicted to love, to disaster. And instead of trying to control those facts, I have to just accept them, and accept life on life's terms.

Step one is one we need to come back to often. We need to continue to realize that we're powerless over our addictions. We can't control any of them. But we also need to realize that we can't control anything in life. We can't control the weather, other people, places, things, etc. We are completely powerless.

But that doesn't mean we have to give up. No, it's quite the opposite. The only thing we can do is accept this powerlessness, and continue to live our lives with that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment