Friday, October 15, 2010

Pulling a geographic


A geographic is an AA term for running away from your problems by moving. I never thought I had done this, and then I thought better.

My life was pretty good. I had a stable job, a stable place to live, a great boyfriend, and good friends. But I was a serious drunk, and I was unhappy. Suddenly, my house was up for sale by the owner, my job got intolerable (through no fault of its own), and my boyfriend and I broke up. Probably also totally all my fault and fear-based, but that's another post.

So I moved. I picked up all the things I had and moved across country. I thought, "Everything will be better there. I'll get out more. Everyone exercises there in the sunshine! I'll be better out there."

Well, it was for a little bit. I didn't drink as much. And then I did.

So I convinced myself if I came home, things would get better. I would feel happier and not as crazy if I were home. I would have support. I wouldn't drink as much. And luckily, I got sober before I had to move home. Well, I suppose I didn't have to, it just seemed necessary. I could have survived on $200 a month for groceries and pet food, but it would have been really tight, especially after paying for gas. I really did make the right move, financially, but was it a geographic again, even in sobriety?

No comments:

Post a Comment