Sunday, October 10, 2010

His time, not mine


"The fact is, Jesus did command the ten lepers, 'Go show yourselves to the priests.' Why are the nice who did so criticized, while the one who seemingly disobeyed, by returning, is praised? One possibility is that the nine were all too ready to accept what Jesus, knowing their weakness, offered them" their old lives back. That's why they were sent to the priests: the priests would certify the cure, and then they could return home and have their old lives back. How often do we desire much the same when we are confronted by traumatic events, by sudden reversals of fortune, bu illness or advancing years? We want our old life back. Here is where we can learn from the Samaritan, from the one healed leper who returned and perceived that with Jesus, something more and something better was on offer than simply having his old life back. Who perceived that his old life was not intended, had never been intended, to b his final destination. Another adventure, a life of discipleship, beckoned.

How do I, as a Christian, respond to misfortune? By demanding to rewrite the script, or by looking to do God's will?" (Lect. 144 - Year C)

Wow. This really spoke to me. It was the reading at mass yesterday. The lepers said, by not returning to thank Jesus for removing their afflictions, "All I wanted was my old life back." But the Samaritan said, thank you, and can I do your will?

Sometimes I want my old life back. I want my car, my dog, my place, my friends. Everything has changed. I had a stable life, and I want that back. But that's not God's plan for me. God's plan is to teach me patience. The rest of it, I haven't quite figured out yet, but I know that His plan isn't necessarily MY plan. I have to learn what God's will for me is, and follow it with faith that everything will work out the way it's supposed to, and all in good time.

"Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but they will always materialize if we work for them."

No comments:

Post a Comment