Friday, July 30, 2010

Alcoholic?


Sometimes I don't feel qualified to call myself an alcoholic.

There are people in the rooms who were so much more fucked up than I was. They had DUI's, jail time, went to rehab multiple times, lived on the streets, got kicked out of the Armed Services, resorted to prostitution, etc., etc. I never had any of those experiences.

I can only begin to relate to that.

I'm just a drunk who texts people at 3am and blacks out. I'm just a drunk driver who never got caught. I just resorted to getting paid in drugs. I just skimmed by barely missing all those options. If I hadn't been living with a man when I lost my job, I may have ended up on the streets at the bottom of a bottle, but I didn't.

So am I even worthy to sit with these people and complain about my "what ifs?" They've had real problems stemming from their alcohol use. Mine have been moderate, but still unmanageable to me. I was powerless over the obsession, and my life had become unmanageable, according to my standards of living. So yeah, I'm an alcoholic, and yes, I'm going to keep coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment