Thursday, July 29, 2010

We are not saints


I really like that, in How It Works: No one among us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles. We are not saints.... We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

I thought I was a saint as a kid. I thought I did everything right. I was always striving for perfection. Oh to be perfect! Then everything would be right with the world. But perfection isn't something we can even strive for - it's not achievable. No one will ever be "perfect." There are a million different interpretations of what that is, and yours is definitely different from mine. We all can attempt to be the best people we can be, and with God's help I will strive for goodness and Godliness in all that I do.

But I'm no saint. I'm going to mess up; that's just how life is. I'm going to have my bad days where I develop resentments against the people who don't use their blinkers when they're turning (I HATE that!). I'm going to get mad at the people I love, and worry things to death. I'm not perfect.

The point is, I'm willing to grow along spiritual lines. I'm willing to take this program and apply it to my life. I have the willingness.

And that's step three.

No comments:

Post a Comment