Friday, July 30, 2010

Happy, joyous, and free


A.A. groups exist to help alcoholics achieve sobriety. ...has but one reason for being: to carry the message to the still-suffering alcoholic. The group exists so that the alcoholic can find a new way of life, a life abundant in happiness, joy, and freedom. To recover, most alcoholics need the support of a group of other alcoholics who share their experience, strength, and hope. Thus my sobriety, and our program’s survival, depend on my determination to put first things first. Daily Reflections, July 28

I know I sure as hell couldn't do it without the meetings. I make sure to hit one every day, sometimes two. I need that fellowship of other members to remind me why I'm there: I want what they have.

And what do they have? People always say, happy, joyous, and free. I don't think I see that, yet, in the people around me, but I do see the freedom from alcohol and the happiness that comes with leading a life of caring and giving back. I want to be a better, happier person. Someone comfortable in my own skin. Someone who can rely on a higher power to show them the way. I think that's what they have, and what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment