Friday, July 30, 2010

Love is a beautiful thing


Sometimes my great ideas aren't so great. I forgot that West Side Story was actually kind of depressing. It is Romeo and Juliet, after all, except that she doesn't die in the end. It is a great love story, though, and shot with an amazing eye for beauty.

It makes me think of love. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love love. Love is that beautiful thing that makes life worth living. Sometimes love is unrequited, and that's the worst feeling in the world, but sometimes love is the uplifting breeze that swings into your life and raises your hopes sky high.

It's one feeling I've always been able to feel, at least, I thought. I was in and out of relationships, and overused the L word. There have only been two people I think I've ever really loved; I mean truly loved with all my heart.

The first was my first love, my first real boyfriend. We were in love, we were 15, and we didn't know any better. He eventually broke my heart, but he was in town not long ago, and we had a great time together. It's nice to grow up and still love someone, but for who they are now, and still be able to put aside that piece of you that's still a bit wounded.

The other person you all know about. It's a little complicated, and I've been thinking about it lately. Do I love him? How do I know? And do we know each other anymore? We've been separated by miles for years now, and both of our lives have gone on. We talk everyday, and share our lives through words. I think we still know each other inside and out, even if we barely scratch the surface of what's going on in our day to day. I think we are still the same people, and that love will always be there. What's to come of it, who knows.

We never wanted to break up. We were madly in love. I mean madly. I was head over heels for him, even after two years together. But alcohol drove us apart. That demon got in between us, and forced me to make a choice: his health, or me. He had to choose AA. There was nothing I could do about it. And I continued to drink anyway, even though it was the catalyst for our breakup.

And now I'm sober, and so is he. People have asked if I did it for him, and I can honestly say no. I did call him when I decided to quit, but you always call your best friend when making life decisions. I think even if I had continued to drink, we would have found our way back to each other.

It's been 5 years, and our friendship is stronger than ever. Let's hope that we can overcome the odds and the miles between us. Someday, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment