Friday, July 30, 2010

What is sobriety?


So, I haven't had a drink in 64 days, which means I'm sober from alcohol and drugs, but what is sobriety?

Being sober means to be not addicted to intoxicating substances, which we're all alcoholics here, so we can't say we're not addicted, but we can be cured of the obsession if God (HP) wills it. But what about the other sobriety talked about in the rooms? The emotional sobriety?

"Those adolescent urges that so many of us have for top approval, perfect security, and perfect romance -- urges quite appropriate to age seventeen -- prove to be an impossible way of life when we are at age forty-seven or fifty-seven....How shall our unconscious -- from which so many of our fears, compulsions and phony aspirations still stream -- be brought into line with what we actually believe, know and want!" Bill W.

What do I actually believe, know, and want? Well, I can honestly say I have no idea. What do I believe, know, and want for myself and for those around me? Safety, security, love. What can I give? Well, I can give of myself and try to make the world around me a kinder, gentler place for those in it, but does that lead me to emotional sobriety? I think this is going to have to be brought up in a meeting soon. It'll be my topic when I have to speak soon.

At our meetings they encourage people on their fourth step to talk at a meeting. The other day, a man in my home group asked me if I'd speak at a meeting he's chairing in the future. He didn't say when, but my sponsor told me you never say no to a request in AA. So we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment