Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The process of turning it over


So what does it mean to turn your will and life over to the care of God, as you understand him? What are the practical aspects of that?

According to some, the way that manifests itself, besides trusting in God, is to attend more meetings, provide service, pray, and call your sponsor. I already attend about 2 meetings a day, so I've got that one covered. I have a service position with my home group on Sunday mornings. I try to call my sponsor but she's never around. And praying. Ahh, how to pray.

Everyday I read some sort of literature from AA. I try to read Daily Reflections and something from As Bill Sees It. Sometimes I forget, but I do talk to God daily. I ask for his protection for the ones I love, and pray that he'll look after me.

So is this really turning it over or is there another step to this? Don't I have to moment by moment say to God, "your will not mine?" And that's the super hard part. But how do you practice that in daily life? I'm sitting here at my desk getting stuff done, and my will is telling me that I'm tired and should go home. But what is God's will? Is he telling me to go home by making me super tired, or would he want me to stay and keep my job? Does God care if I quit smoking? Is it God's will that I go get a sandwich for lunch?

I suppose the little things aren't things you turn over, but it seems like if you're turning over your will and your life, it should be everything, not just the big stuff. We'll have to see how this manifests itself. This is going to get annoying, but "more will be revealed."

No comments:

Post a Comment