Sunday, August 1, 2010

Get sober for me


From Post Secret
I liked this secret. I worried about that when Adam got sober, that he would quickly find someone else and would lean on her in order to get sober, and resent me for not being able to do that for him. He found someone relatively quickly, but he'd been sober for (I think) a year.

Man, I was so jealous. I almost hated her, and I didn't even know her. He was supposed to come back to me! He was supposed to fix himself and then come find me saying, "Look! I'm better! I can show up in your life, now." He had an odd way of showing up before. He would be there for me when crisis struck - he was awesome in crisis - but day to day living was different. He one time screamed at my boss on the phone about what a jerk he was (he was an ass.... Not Adam, the boss.), and was so drunk I had to rip the phone from him. He also had trouble putting me before that next drink or the next smoke. It was always more important than I was, and I was often heartbroken by his choices.

But he didn't. We remained friends, though he kept her and I apart, for good reason. She hated me because of Adam and my close relationship. I don't blame her. She was right to be worried. I loved him, still, and he loved me. I kinda feel bad for her that I caused jealousy and resentment. I hope she never had me on her fourth step list.

And now, we're great friends. He made his amends to me, and I accepted. He's been much more present with me now. He is still a little ADD, but can show up when I need him. He still has an amazing habit of calling or showing up when I'm in crisis. It's like he knows. I'll always be grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment