Monday, August 2, 2010

The power of a hug



Apparently loneliness can kill you, too.

"‘When someone is connected to a group and feels responsibility for other people, that sense of purpose and meaning translates to taking better care of themselves and taking fewer risks,’ she said."

So not only can AA save your life by helping you quit drinking, it can save your life by providing fellowship. One of the best parts of AA is the people. People in the rooms welcome you with open arms, and make you a part of their lives pretty quickly. The speaker this morning opened with, "Before I start, everyone turn to someone and give them a hug. A hug is what I was greeted with when I first came in, and it's what kept me coming back."

The power of a hug is incredible. It can comfort you in times of sadness or sickness, and it can be an expression of friendship and love. A hug can bring you closer to people and make them feel welcome in your presence. It's much better than a handshake.

I have to get better at hugs. I'm more likely to shake someone's hand, but AA seems to be a hugging group. I always forget to hug my sponsor goodbye, but she never lets me leave without one. I'm getting used to all the love, and to tell the truth, I kinda like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment