Friday, August 6, 2010

Struggling with bipolar disorder? Look no further


I really like this blog, Struggling with the Elephant in the Room. Dave just got diagnosed bipolar, and he sounds like he's having a bit of trouble with it.

When I was first diagnosed I was totally confused. What the hell does that mean? I did so much research and read a lot of great books - especially Kay Redfield Jamison's books and others on people with mental illnesses. It gave me perspective in to the disease and the life people can lead with it. It is a full life, with just a tiny bit more obstacles than the rest of the world.

As bipolar's we tend to blow this thing out of proportion. Everything is drama! Woe is me! But it's really not that bad. Bipolar hasn't prevented me from doing anything I want to do, it just gets in the way sometimes of the everyday. Sometimes you're too depressed to move, but that's what sick days are for. After that, it really is the power of positive thinking (take a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy class and that's what you get out of it). "I can beat this. I can get up." And then you just do it. You learn how to just do it anyway, even when you feel like you just can't go on.

And another important thing is to 1)always take your meds as prescribed and 2) watch yourself. Learn what the early symptoms of an episode are, and get your friends to watch you as well. When you can catch it early, it's much easier to call your doctor and let them know you're headed one way or another. Your doc and your therapist need to know what's going on with you - always be honest with them. Always.

You will be ok. Just know that now. It's never as dark as it may seem. You will overcome the initial hesitance to deal with it, and it just becomes second-hand nature to watch your moods and report to the people who are there to help you deal. Take advantage of all the mental health community has to offer, and read books. The more you know, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment