Sunday, August 1, 2010

Time to barbecue


I'm finally having a barbecue in my backyard, after 65 days of abstaining. It's just the four of us, my closest buddies, and I asked them to bring their own booze, if they wanted to. I don't think they will, but if they do, that's ok, too. At this point, I don't want to break my streak.

It's so nice to have people over. I like having the company of friends. It actually keeps me sober to have others around. And these guys are all really supportive of my sobriety. They've all said great and encouraging things, and have been careful to keep booze out of a lot of situations.

Every year we go wine tasting twice a year. I'm always the DD (drunk driver), because I drive better than the rest of them even when I'm sober. Amanda asked me yesterday if I should go in March (we're going to be at the marathon for the November one). I thought about it, and I'm not so sure. It might be tempting for me to drive from winery to winery with them (they have gourmet food tastings at each as well, and provisions for the DD's). I told her I'd think about being their real designated driver this time, but I'd have to wait and see if my sobriety is strong enough.

They say not to put yourself in unnecessarily tempting positions, so I think it'll be a no go. But I really enjoy those weekends. We get a house and sit around talking and eating. It's good fellowship, and a nice 3 days with good friends. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment