Sunday, August 1, 2010

Getting back on track


The speaker this morning talked about addictions. "I'm addicted to addiction," he said. "It all started with sugar. Anything I can be addicted to, I am."

I totally identify with this. Anything that's addictive, I've had it. Drugs, alcohol, exercise, eating, diet Coke, smoking, men, love, drama. I've had it all. I could probably join all the A groups, like NA, AA, Al-Anon, OA, etc. It's just a never ending stream of addictions.

But I'm working on them. I've left drugs and alcohol in the past, one day at a time. At least for today. I can't speak about tomorrow, because I only have today, but I have the desire to stop those things. I'm working on the eating thing, too, but that's super hard. Like smoking, I eat out of boredom (apparently I blog that way, too.). And I get bored at home by myself a lot. I try to reach out to other people, but it doesn't always work out. I try to go to a lot of meetings, but that's only an hour or two of my day.

I need to get addicted to working out, again. My pants are feeling a little tight, though I bought pants yesterday in my same size. I used to run every day and do weights, but it's been about a month since I've been consistent with that. It stinks, cause during lunch one of my favorite shows (Deadliest Catch) plays on the treadmill tv. I'm so not caught up.

So this week, I promise to work out at least twice. I'm going to do it, damnit. And I'm going to try to cut back on smoking out of boredom. I'm going to start following my diet closer, again. I'm going to cut back on the diet Cokes. Wait! You say. Don't change anything in your first year! Well, these are things I did before I quit booze, so I'm just returning to what May looked like, minus the booze. I think that's a good place to start. Here's to a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment