Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Perhaps cutting back is the answer


"For regular smokers, caffeine takes half as long to process—which, in some ways, explains why smokers often drink more coffee and feel more agitated and anxious, because they're unaware of how their bodies work without cigarettes." What Caffeine Actually Does to Your Brain

So I do need more caffeine than other people - which would explain my now insane addiction to coffee and diet Coke. I've always drunk a lot of coffee, and it has little effect on me. I can sleep right after drinking it, and it doesn't make me wired until I'm on cup #4 or so. And diet Coke. Wow, I went to Costco and bought two giant sized groupings of it - one for home, one for work - and the home one is gone already. It's only been a week and a half!

So I think I should cut back on the caffeine. I'm taking a lot of it in, and it does change your body chemistry, like any addiction will.

"The reasons for the withdrawal are the same as with any substance dependency: your brain was used to operating one way with caffeine, and now it's suddenly working under completely different circumstances, but all those receptor changes are still in place. Headaches are the nearly universal effect of cutting off caffeine, but depression, fatigue, lethargy, irritability, nausea, and vomiting can be part of your cut-off, too, along with more specific issues, like eye muscle spasms."

Um, eye spasms, can't wait. I already have depression, fatigue, and irritability problems without withdrawal symptoms. It's going to be hard to cut back on caffeine and cigarettes, but I have to do something. Habits are expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment