Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cigarettes and obsession


"If trying to avoid thoughts of something in an attempt to give it up actually unwittingly triggers a subsequent increase, it's a poor method of achieving self control. This work may stop people using quitting techniques that are ultimately harmful."

No wonder it's so hard to quit anything. The more you try not to think about it, the more you do the behavior when you quit trying to suppress the obsession. I think that's why AA is successful. You ask your HP to remove the obsession, and it's ok to obsess in the meantime. Once the obsession is lifted, it's easier to just avoid it, but a lot of people still have trouble with it. That's another good thing about AA: teaching you to "think through the drink." Where will it lead? What happens at the end of a drinking bought?

Quitting smoking is harder than quitting drinking. I haven't made it to the grocery store yet, and my sponsor yesterday told me not to quit, again. She said having one mask left is better than drinking. I want to quit, though. I think I'm about ready. I smoke way too much, and it makes me sick to think about it. I haven't emptied my ashtray in a while just to show me how much I actually smoke. It's really gross.

I was doing well with the diet Coke, though, until I stayed up until midnight last night thinking and making my fourth step list. I think I had 4, but I only had one during the day. That's a cut down of at least 2. I think today I'm going to try to stick to coffee until 2pm and try to only have 2 more at home. I'm running out, and if I don't buy another case, then I won't have them on hand to drink.

Addictions are hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment