Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pregnancy and meds are a bad combo


I have always wondered about this. They haven't had a specific study on what psych meds can do during a pregnancy, because you can't test on pregnant women. Now, they've found that they do cause birth defects and other problems in unborn children.

"'A range of serious side effects such as birth deformities, low birth weight, premature birth, and development of neonatal withdrawal syndrome were reported in children under two years of age, most likely because of the mother's intake of psychotropic medication during pregnancy,' says Associate Professor Lisa Aagaard."

Wonderful. So now you have to choose between birth defects and withdrawal in your child, or possible psychosis during your pregnancy. I should just never have children. Which is sad. My grandma told me once not to reproduce because I could pass on the bipolar gene. I don't think that's fair. I shouldn't be restricted from having that kind of joy just because of the possibility of passing on a disease. Should people with heart disease be restricted from having kids? I know in the old days they used to sterilize people like me so that we couldn't reproduce. How disgusting.

So someday when I have to make that choice, I think I'll choose crazy over birth defects. I'd rather have a tough 9 months than a child who will have it tough the rest of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment