Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What is a resentment?


Now I'm starting my fourth step, officially. I need to make a list of resentments I have against people, places, things, institutions, ideas, etc. It doesn't have to be exhaustive, it just has to be true.

So what is a resentment? "Resentment can be triggered by an emotionally disturbing experience felt again or relived in the mind. When the person feeling resentment is directing the emotion at themself it appears as remorse."

"The word resentment comes from the Latin word "sentire" which means, "to feel", and when you put "re" in front of any word, it means "again", so the word resent means "to feel again". It includes people, institutions or principles with whom we were angry, with whom we were hurt or threatened or interfered with, with whom we felt had wronged us, with whom we stayed sore at, with whom we felt "burned up" toward, and with whom we held a grudge.

I would like to add the following as well: People, institutions or principles which we are annoyed with, agitated by, or let down by; and I also like to suggest that this includes our regrets [from "gratan", to weep, i.e., to weep again] because regret is resentment toward ourself."


Ideas coming from "perceived" wrongs, and wrongs in themselves. I can think of a few, but are they really resentments? I suppose I have been carrying around a little, ha, anger about some stuff, but I know already that most of it is me and my reactions to things. In fact, if I think about them now, I already know I have a part in all of my resentments. I do have a lot of resentment towards myself, and I just know I have to do this step without beating myself up. It's not about pointing out what a shit I am, it's about finding where I keep repeating patterns and trying to break them.

So here's to step four.

No comments:

Post a Comment