Monday, November 15, 2010

Don't take that


My cousin has a serious problem with shop lifting. She'll do it anytime anywhere. Most of her jewelry and all her sunglasses have been lifted from places. She lifts groceries all the time, too, or gets to know the people at the store and gets them to mark down stuff or label it wrong so she can get stuff for discounts.

I've never been a shop lifter. It makes me feel bad when she does it, and she tries not to do it around me. One time, we loaded up the car with Christmas wreaths and decorations and she only told me later that she just paid for one. It gave me a rush, no doubt, but it just felt wrong. I almost told her to take them back.

Today I had to return a salad at the store because the lettuce was bad. I had bought 2 salads, and decided to get three to replace the bad one (for my dad and I). He asked if I was returning two and buying just the one. I thought about it for a millisecond. I could totally get away with it.... But I didn't. I told him the truth, and I feel better for it.

I've been thinking about shop lifting. It might create that rush I've been missing from doing drugs and other stuff. I suppose you really just do replace one addiction with another, but I'm too moral to do it. Don't laugh. I really have values deeply instilled in me, and it's just something I couldn't do, temptation or no.

No comments:

Post a Comment