Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Living in the skin you're in


Someone tonight talked about how they have to live in the skin they're in, and how they need to separate themselves from the skin they used to inhabit. "I know that if I drink, I'll go back to that whore, that person no one wants to be around."

I feel the same way. I feel like I can't go back to that skin. I can't go back to the person I used to be, especially after I've changed so much. And have I changed? Really? In 6 months?

6 months is a long time. A lot can happen. Just look at what's happened since then. I've been given a clean slate. I've lost my job, lost my place, basically lost my dog and my car, lost my dignity through drinking, and moved. That's a ton of stuff to lose. So I've been given a clean slate. I can start all over and not look like an ass around people. I can go to work with my head held up high.

Now, I can be there for the people in my life. I don't have to isolate and hide from them who I really am. I can share with them my life, and be present in theirs. It's nice to start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment