Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Just like alcohol, give up smoking


"Give cessation time and you will be free.
Give smoking time and it will kill you."


I think this will be my mantra. Give it time; turn it over. This is from an article on "Junkie thinking," which is a lot like the thinking people have when quitting alcohol. People think, "I can have just one," and they never can. Just one cigarette makes you crave just one more. You can never really have just one. I suppose people who don't have addiction problems can do it, but us addicts can't.

I met with Annie the other day, and she said she quit smoking 3 months ago. When she saw me smoking as I walked up, she thought, "Great! Now I can bum one off her. Maybe I'll just chain smoke while we talk!" But she prayed about it. She said she prayed while we talked, and she was "cured" of the obsession to ask me for a cigarette.

Just like quitting alcohol, I need to turn it over and ask God to relieve me of the urge to smoke. I can deal with the side effects, just like I was able to deal with the side effects I got from not drinking. I'm strong and persistent. I just need to make that commitment to not smoking.

Give cessation time and you will be free.
Give smoking time and it will kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment