Sunday, November 14, 2010

The no meat athlete


I don't eat a lot of meat. In fact, I tend not to buy it unless I'm throwing a party. Don't get me wrong, I love meat. One of my favorite dishes to make is puerco pibil, which is a Mexican dish that's hot and the pork just melts in your mouth. It's wonderful!

But I tend not to eat meat regularly. I always wondered if that would be a problem, and if it's the cause of my fatigue. Maybe I don't get enough iron. But I've found some great resources for running without eating meat. The No Meat Athlete has some great ideas on nutrition for runners.

Most people suggest eating beans and kale or other vitamin rich veggies and legumes. It sounds like a great idea, but it's hard to eat well here. Dad tends to get burritos on Thursdays, and chicken salads one day a week. Other than that, we pick at some things in the cabinet. We had clam chowder from a can tonight. I'm hoping that I can find some good recipes and start cooking again. It's easy to cook for two, and I'm sure he would appreciate it. I was thinking of making pumpkin bread again tonight. It just makes the house smell so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment