Monday, November 15, 2010

Networking in a bar


The Big Book says not to go to drinking establishments unless you have a good reason to be there. This week, I'm going back to one of my old haunts. It's the basement dive bar in the city where I used to go after work 6 years ago. We would walk in, and the bartender knew immediately what we all drank. He wouldn't even ask, he would just bring it over.

So I'm going back. Why am I going? Well, everyone who is going is someone I know, or someone who works in my field. My mentor asked me to go to network with some people he's bringing. It will be good to see everyone, too. I like all these folks, and I don't have to drink. Isn't that cool? I don't have to drink. But here's another opportunity to lie to my sponsor, or just leave out the where we're meeting. I could always say a restaurant, because it is, technically.

Will I be ok back in my old haunt? I think so. Just the smell of alcohol kinda makes me ill. I hate talking to people who've been drinking. The smell on their breath is gross. I remember a time when Adam said drinking turned him off, and I get what he's talking about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment