Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Go get your teeth cleaned


"Alcohol and tobacco use increases the risk of type 2 diabetes."

I worry about diabetes all the time. It runs in my family, and I know already that my meds can cause diabetes. So now I know my drinking and smoking can up my odds of getting diabetes. Since I've quit drinking, and after that period of craving sweets, I wonder how much my blood sugar has gone down? It was never high, but it was on the high side of normal. Once I quit smoking, I wonder if it will go down even more.

I'm supposed to have blood tests every 6 months, and I think I'm coming up on it. I'm also coming up on dentist appointments and gynecologist appointments. I've got to get back to those soon. I like to get tested for cancer every year, instead of the every 2 they suggest for women my age. I have so many risk factors with the heavy drinking and smoking and the family history. They also say when you quit smoking to go to the dentist and get your teeth cleaned. Sometimes seeing just how clean they are can deter you from smoking.

It sucks not having insurance that will cover this stuff. I have these doctors already, but I'm sure it will be really expensive without insurance. I want to get back on birth control eventually, and not smoking will reduce my risks of health problems related to that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment