Monday, November 15, 2010

Replacing one for another


Moving Beyond Addiction had something today about shopaholics. I know I'm not one, especially after reading the "symptoms," but she did have some good advice. We addicts tend to just replace one addiction with another. Instead of drinking, I'm drinking diet Coke. Instead of doing drugs, I'm chain smoking. Now I'm trying to get myself obsessed with running, instead. Oh, it makes me shop for new stuff, yeah, but it's not that horrible. Just shoes, a sports bra, and running pants for winter.

Anyway, "Often the void can be filled with a higher power and understanding of what is going on beneath the layers of the addiction. What trauma are you avoiding? What void are you trying to fill up with shopping? The answers are there if you just listen and seek assistance to help you get through your pain."

What am I trying to cover up? What am I feeling that I'm hiding?

No comments:

Post a Comment