Monday, November 15, 2010

If this guy can do it


Running is really good for addiction. There are a lot of accomplished runners who started out as addicts. Take this dude for example:

"That was my lowest low," he says. "The day when I woke up." He was, in the bluntest of terms, a crackhead--stealing, lying, begging for that next hit. For more than a decade, Engle had been addicted to alcohol and drugs, and now, on this corner, he reached absolute bottom. Engle had spent the past week holed up in a $10-per-day motel, smoking crack, drinking cheap liquor, screwing prostitutes, dealing with quarter-sized bullet holes in the side of his car. Back home in North Carolina, he had a wife and a 2-year-old son, and yet he could not care less. He was about one thing, and one thing only: the high. "I hated my life," says Engle, "but I couldn't escape it. So I prayed."

I hear a lot from people who said all they cared about was that next high, that next drink. I was definitely getting there. I wanted to make sure there was alcohol everywhere I went. I only hung out if there was booze, and if there wasn't going to be, I brought some. I wasn't to the point that I stopped caring about other people, but I realize now that I didn't care about them like I could.

And "So I prayed." God really comes through for you. Ask for help, and ye shall receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment