Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's the liver again


Just like the way alcohol affects your liver, smoking does the same. When you smoke, it affects the enzymes in your liver. If you're taking medications like mine, which work through your liver, they can change the medications' effects.

"Some drugs are broken down by these enzymes. Therefore, smoking whilst taking these medications reduces the amount of drug in the blood. There are several drugs which fall into this group, however there are very few which would have the way they worked altered."

So when I quit smoking, perhaps my meds will work better, and I'll be able to go off of one of them. I might get depressed in the beginning, but I'm hoping that since my meds will work better, they will prevent that initial depression.

"Smoking destroys certain vitamins and creates the need for other specific nutrients."

The multi-vitamins I've started to take will work better, too after I quit. It will be nice to only have caffeine in my system as a chemical not needed in the body. One day I'll be able to give up diet Coke, but I'll never give up coffee. I love the way it tastes, and I enjoy it a lot. But diet Coke can go away. I didn't have a problem with it until I quit alcohol, and I think it's just replacing that habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment