Saturday, July 24, 2010

Another smoking post - I'm really gonna do it this time


Alright, alright, I get it, God. I'll quit smoking. Jeez.

Before I quit drinking I had a few people tell me I drank a lot or should quit. Now, I have a bunch of people on my ass for smoking. So, I took the Kaiser Permanente online cessation quiz thingy. I set a date for Monday. I just need to be able to get around stressful situations and times when smoking is a habit, like when I walk to meetings. I just need to increase my exercise and buy lollipops while I'm at Costco this weekend.

I started smoking in high school. I never wanted to smoke - I thought it was nasty - but when my parents sent me to boarding school I was pissed off. Some girls and I snuck out one of the first nights I was there, and they showed me all the places the girls went at night. We wandered back behind the soccer field, and there was a group of girls smoking. "Want a cigarette?" Well, I had just smoked the joint that went around, so I figured I might as well. And that was the beginning of the end.

I learned at school how to remove a window screen, how to smoke in the bathroom without anyone knowing (turn on the shower, put a towel under the door, open the window, and have some Febreeze handy), where to go on campus, and how to buy cigarettes underage. I smoked from then on, even lighting my pot pipe with my cigarette to get both drugs at the same time.

In college I smoked a lot. I used it in place of medications, and plus, I hung out in a super smokey bar every night. All my friends smoked, too, so it was easy to just keep on pace with them.

I've quit before. I quit for a year one time. I didn't smoke more than a cigarette a week when I moved here, and sometimes one a month. But in times of stress, I can smoke up to half a pack a day.

None of my friends smoke anymore - the ones here or at home (except one, but she smokes a lot less than me). So it's time to jump on the bandwagon. It's going to be stressful, it's going to make me irritable, but hell, if I can quit drinking, then I can quit smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment