Thursday, July 22, 2010

Figuring it all out


Michael just came over to fix my computer - the mouse stopped working - and we talked about sobriety. He's the one trying to do the moderation thing, and keeps asking me if I think he's an alcoholic. I told him to try quitting for 60 days, cause it's hard! He is considering the fact that he is. He's sure he's a "problem drinker."

We went out to dinner, and he took one look at me across the table and said, "Are you manic?" I suppose once someone knows you that well, they can tell. He said it's like I have a Devo hat on with a flashing light on top.

Michael and I used to live together, so I asked him what I'm like manic, depressed, and what some of my good and bad qualities are. He provided a really helpful list. I told him colors and lights are brighter and more vibrant, so we compared eyes in the mirror and mine are a lot more dilated. Explains a lot. He said I must not be completely manic, cause I don't have the "bug-eyed" look. I feel like my eyes are open really wide, but he said it's not that bad yet.

So now I have a good idea of what to look for, and not just guess how I'm feeling. I'm going to take the list to my therapist so she can look for the symptoms, too. It's nice to have other watchers out there. Sometimes I miss the signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment