Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wow, that meeting was lame



I just came back from the lamest meeting. The dude who was running it was mean! He kept saying, to the silent room, "This is your meeting, people." It was obvious everyone just wanted to get out of there, but this guy wasn't budging until everyone talked.

So they talked. And boy, was it lame. I know that's no nice of me, but really. One guy mumbled for 5 minutes, and I still have no idea what he said. Another guy did what I can't stand. He opened with, "My name is Chris and by the grace of God I am today a recovered alcoholic." Now, Adam always tells me he runs screaming from anyone who says they are recovered. It's recovering. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

Then Chris proceeded to talk. About nothing. He went on and on, and really, I looked for the substance and the relation to AA, but there was nothing there. Oh! And my favorite was Hector. He said that since he came into the program he's come to a spiritual awakening: he can only have one beer a day. He was really proud of the fact that he had come to this realization, and kept telling us to keep coming back, cause it works.

And Sebastian. Boy, that's an angry kid. Two other people shared about their time being dragged into psychiatric hospitals, which I have no problem with, but man that's depressing for a meeting that's already really depressing.

The only person who had anything meaningful to say was the new kid. He's been sober three days (I saw him at his first meeting on Friday, and every meeting I've been to since). He actually stuck to the topic of humility (which I have none of tonight). He went out with his friends and they didn't drink in front of him because he asked them not to, even though they don't know he's in AA. He was humbled. It was amazing to see that it's already working with him.

So that's my bitchy rant for the night. Sorry, had to get it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment