Saturday, July 24, 2010

Terminally unique


You are not unique. You may feel that way, but every alcoholic has been where you are. They've all lived the life of some sort. Alcoholics all over the world have had car crashes, DUI's, lost wives and families, lost jobs and friends, drank themselves into bad health, have problems with the families and friends they have left, landed in the gutter.

I have to remember that no matter what feelings I'm feeling right now, people out there have had them before. There have always been recovering alcoholics feeling withdrawal since the first person quit drinking. There have always been people with mental illness who have dealt with the steps. Lots of people quit smoking every year. I am not unique.

And so I'll go through this program and learn to laugh at myself and my situation. I'll learn that there is always someone out there to talk to who will understand. I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment