Friday, July 23, 2010

The cowardly lion


I have courage. I've always been the kind of person to look before I leap (bad), but have the courage to face things that come my way with dignity, my head held high.

–noun; the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

Fear never seems to stand in my way once I make a decision to do something, or when things aren't going my way and I need to "fix" them. I've been through some hard times, and done so without fear. It's only after the fact that I experience that overwhelming sense of dread.

When I moved here, 3,000 miles away from home, I did so by simply packing up my car and driving. I didn't know anyone, but I had a job and a place to live. I made sure I was set up before I set out. I never thought it was brave until people started telling me so. But it was. I was able to start a new life without anything except my oriental carpet and some plants.

So now I face a new challenge in my life: I am going to go through this program, and I will do so like I face other things in my life; with courage. Courage doesn't mean you're not allowed to be afraid, but it means you move on anyway. So at this point when I'm feeling a little fearful of what these steps may hold, I can look inside myself and know that I have the power and the will to make it. I will continue, and I will survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment