Sunday, October 24, 2010

Halloween is candy time


I love Halloween. I love holidays in general. One of the best parts, or course, is the candy. I love Almond Joys, Twix, and Kit Kats. Kit Kats bring back all sorts of comforting emotions for me and remind me of my grandmother. Apparently someone did a study on Halloween candy and it's takeover of the holiday. She gives her students a Hershey's Kiss and asks them to make associations with them.

"The students are always amazed at how many vivid and emotional memories they have wrapped inside a Hershey kiss -- childhood, holidays, favorite times, grandparents," she says. "This emotional connection is very real."

It's funny what we have wrapped up in food. Emotional eating is a true thing. We eat certain foods for "comfort." Like chicken soup when you're sick, and it reminds you of mom taking care of you when you were a kid. Or those Kit Kats that remind me of my grandmother. These things make us feel good, and so we eat them in excess to try to make ourselves feel better. Viscous cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment